Verizon sent a letter to the FCC this week saying the government can't regulate the interconnection deals the company strikes with third-party content providers like Netflix.
Enterprises continue to be cautious about spending money on new services and network equipment with vendor revenues for the last four quarters declining, but by less than 1 percent on an annualized basis.
Windstream's proposed buildout of its new Kinetic IPTV service in Lincoln, Neb., is facing protest from local cable incumbent Time Warner Cable, which says the telco is getting a better franchise deal.
Verizon has implemented what it says is the first office application (FOA) of Ciena's 200G technology over about 200 miles on its long-haul production network between Boston and New York.
Google Fiber has delayed an announcement about where it will extend its 1 Gbps fiber-to-the-premises (FTTP) data and video services until "early next year," according to various reports.
AT&T has named Atlanta as the newest city that will be getting its fiber-to-the-business (FTTB) service as part of the fiber-ready building program under its Project VIP initiative.
Windstream has taken another step forward with its real estate investment trust (REIT) structure by announcing that it will retain 19.9 percent of the shares in the REIT and distribute the remaining 80.1 percent to Windstream stockholders.
Service providers may be hot on the trail of delivering 1 Gbps fiber-to-the-premises (FTTP) services, but today's reality is that most consumers will not consume nearly that amount of bandwidth, nor are they universally aware that such services exist.
Frontier Communications has become the latest service provider to gain the Metro Ethernet Forum's Carrier Ethernet 2.0 (CE 2.0) certification for its Ethernet solutions portfolio.
TDS Telecom has set an aggressive plan to expand its fiber network with plans to lay 800-900 miles of cable in 2015, a build that will support its ongoing deployment of 1 Gbps capable fiber-to-the-premises (FTTP) services.
DSL + FiberZCorum